ANGEL LOAF CAKE
Angel Loaf Cake
½ cup sifted cake flour
¼ cup sugar
¾ cup (6) egg whites
½ teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ teaspoon almond extract
½ cup sugar
1. Sift flour with ¼ cup sugar 2 times; set aside.
2. Beat egg whites with cream of tartar, salt, vanilla, and almond extract till stiff enough to form soft peaks but still moist and glossy.
3. Add remaining ½ cup sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, continuing to beat until egg whites hold stiff peaks.
4. Sift about 1/3 of flour mixture over whites; fold in. Repeat, folding in remaining flour in two additions.
5. Bake in ungreased 9x5x3-inch loaf pan in moderate over (375°) for 25 minutes or until done. Invert cake in pan; cool.
Angel Loaf Cake was made and prepared by Shirley-Ann Pearman
Photography by Shirley-Ann Pearman
Recipe was taken from Better Homes And Garden New CookBook, the chapter on “Angel, Sponge Cakes”, page 80 of the Third Printing, 1970.