6 tablespoons butter, softened
¼ cup granulated sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup flaked coconut
¼ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1. Cream together butter, ¼ cup sugar and ¼ teaspoon salt.
2. Stir in 1 cup flour.
3. Pat onto bottom of 9x9x2-inch pan.
4. Bake at 350 ºF for 15 minutes or till lightly browned.
5. Meanwhile, beat eggs slightly; add vanilla.
6. Gradually add brown sugar, beating just till blended.
7. Add 2 tablespoons flour and ½ teaspoon salt. Stir in coconut and nuts.
8. Spread over baked layer.
9. Bake 20 minutes longer or till wooden pick comes out clean.
10. Cool. Cut in diamonds.
11. Makes 1 ½ dozen.
Coconut Bars were made and prepared by Shirley-Ann Pearman
Photography by Shirley-Ann Pearman
Recipe derived from “Better Homes And Gardens New CookBook, the chapter on “Bar Cookies”, page 152 of the Third Edition.