3 cups sugar
½ cup water
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 teaspoon butter
Pinch of salt
1. Prepare, muffin pan and grease well with vegetable shortening.
2. Combine sugar, water and vinegar in a medium size pot, stir all together and bring to boil over medium heat. Stir occasionally until all the sugar is dissolved.
3. Brush down the sides with a pastry brush dipped in water if crystals begin to form.
4. Continue to cook at medium heat the dissolved mixture for about 20 minutes or so.
5. Add butter and cook for another 10 minutes until you reach the “crack” stage on the candy thermometer (290 degrees).
6. At this point, when a bit of the mixture is dropped into cold water, it instantly turns brittle.
7. Remove the molten candy from the stove and stir in the food coloring, salt and flavouring of your choice.
8. Now pour ⅛ to ¼ inch of candy into each muffin cup.
9. Cool completely.
10. When cooled, turn upside down and give a few taps on the bottom and the candies should pop out.
11. Wrap each in waxed paper.
Glass Candy was made and prepared by Shirley-Ann Pearman
Photography by Shirley-Ann Pearman
Recipe derived from a Bermuda CookBook.PDF Version of Glass Candy
Ateco Dipping Tool SetCDN Chocolate Tempering Thermometer
Fat Daddio's 12-Cup Square Muffin Pan Baker's Secret 116424001 Basics Nonstick 24-Cup Mini Muffin Pan
KitchenAid Silicone Spatula Scraper, Black KitchenAid Silicone Spatula Scraper, Black
Wilton Candy Dipping Set Wilton Candy Dipping Set
Wilton Recipe Right 24 Cup Mini Muffin Pan Wilton Recipe Right 24 Cup Mini Muffin Pan
Reynolds Parchment Paper, 30 Square Feet (Pack of 6) Reynolds Parchment Paper, 30 Square Feet (Pack of 6)
Shop online at Amazon.com your one stop shop with many departments, along with access to hundreds of the world's online stores such as Macys, JCPenney, Target etc.
Sales and discounts available daily on many products. Rewards are available to shoppers as well.