2 oz quick-cooking rolled oats
2 oz castor sugar
4 oz flour
2 oz butter or margarine
Sieved Icing Sugar
1. Mix rolled oats, flour and sugar on a pastry board.
2. Work in the butter or margarine
3. Roll out to about ½ -cm (¼ –inch) thick and cut into oval shapes. From half of the oval shapes cut out two small ovals.
4. Place on an ungreased baking sheet and bake in centre of a moderately hot oven, 375°F, 190°C, Gas Mark 5, for 1- 12 minutes.
5. Cool on the baking sheet.
6. When cool, spread the ovals with redcurrants, bramble, black grape or some other jelly; dredge the biscuits with the cut-out shapes with icing sugar. Place these on top of the ovals.
Jelly Biscuits were made and prepared by Shirley-Ann Pearman
Photography by Shirley-Ann Pearman.
Recipe was taken from “Cookery In Colour, A picture encyclopedia for every occasion edited by Marguerite Patten” chapter on “Cookies”. “798” “Jelly Biscuits”
Note: Recipe was doubled in ingredients in these photos. 4 oz oats (1/2 cup), 4 oz sugar (1/2 cup), 8 oz flour (1 cup) and 4 oz butter (1/2 cup). Strawberry Jam was used instead of jelly.
This document in its entirety is located here, with more photos:-