One-Egg Coffee Cake
1 ¾ cups sifted cake flour or all purpose flour
¼ cup whole wheat flour
1 cup sugar
2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup shortening or butter
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Optional : ¼ cup raisins
Optional: Sprinkle top of cake before going into oven with sugar.
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease well and flour two 8 by 1 ½ -inch layer-cake pans, or a 9-by-9-by1 3/4 –inch baking pan.
2. Into large bowl of electric mixer, sift flour with sugar, baking powder, and salt.
3. Add shortening and milk. At medium speed beat 2 minutes, occasionally scraping side of bowl and guiding mixture into beaters with rubber scraper.
4. Add egg and vanilla; beat 2 minutes longer.
5. Pour batter into prepared pans; bake layers 25 to 30 minutes; square 30 to 35 minutes; or until surface springs back when gently pressed with fingertip.
6. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool thoroughly on wire racks. Fill and frost as desired.
One-Egg Coffee Cake was made and prepared by Shirley-Ann Pearman
Photography by Shirley-Ann Pearman
Recipe was taken from McCall CookBook, the chapter on “One-Bowl Cakes”, page 123 an edition of between 1950 – 1960s