STEAMED MARBLE SPONGE
Steamed Marble Sponge
100g/4oz butter or margarine
100g/4oz castor sugar
150g/6oz self-raising flour (with plain flour use 1½ level teaspoons baking powder)
Little milk or water
1. Cream the margarine and sugar.
2. Add the eggs and fold in the sieved flour.
3. Mix to a soft dropping consistency with a little milk or water.
4. Add food coloring of your choice to about ¼ cup of the mixture.
5. Spoon both the mixtures into a greased pudding basin to marble, cover with greaseproof paper and steam for about 1 ½ hours.
6. Optional: Serve with chocolate sauce.
Steamed Marble Sponge was made and prepared by Shirley-Ann Pearman
Photography by Shirley-Ann Pearman
Recipe was taken from Cookery In Colour, A picture encyclopedia for every occasion edited by Marguerite Patten the chapter on “Entertaining”, page 464 and 465 an edition of 1960.
If you would like to assist in paying ShirleyAnn, please donate here. Thank You!