2 oz quick-cooking rolled oats
2 oz castor sugar
4 oz flour
2 oz butter or margarine
Sieved Icing Sugar
¼ cup chopped cherries
¼ cup butter
6 – 8 tablespoons icing sugar
1. Mix rolled oats, flour and sugar on a pastry board.
2. Work in the butter or margarine
3. Roll out to about ½ -cm (¼ –inch) thick and cut into oval shapes. From half of the oval shapes cut out two small ovals.
4. Place on an ungreased baking sheet and bake in centre of a moderately hot oven, 375°F, 190°C, Gas Mark 5, for 1- 12 minutes.
5. Cool on the baking sheet.
6. Cream butter and icing sugar. Add chopped cherries.
7. When cool, spread the ovals with (butter cream mixture) redcurrants, bramble, black grape or some other jelly; dredge the biscuits with the cut-out shapes with icing sugar. Place these on top of the ovals.
Cherry Biscuits were made and prepared by Shirley-Ann Pearman
Photography by Shirley-Ann Pearman.
Recipe was taken from “Cookery In Colour, A picture encyclopedia for every occasion edited by Marguerite Patten” chapter on “Cookies”. “798” “Jelly Biscuits”
Note: Recipe was doubled in ingredients in these photos. 4 oz oats (1/2 cup), 4 oz sugar (1/2 cup), 8 oz flour (1 cup) and 4 oz butter (1/2 cup).
This document in its entirety is located here, with more photos:-