HOMEMADE HALLOWEEN FUDGE
1 cup milk
4 cups granulated sugar
½ cup margarine or butter
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
Orange Colouring (Wilton Paste)
½ cup coconut
¼ cup raisins or sultanas
¼ cup almonds, coarsely chopped
1. Mix the milk and sugar together and leave to stand for 1 hour.
2. Then cook very slowly until sugar dissolves.
3. Add the margarine or butter in small pieces and when melted bring the mixture to the boil.
4. Boil steadily until a temperature of 238°F, 115°C is reached or until a little of the mixture forms a soft ball when dropped into cold water, this will take about 1 hour. During cooking brush the inside of the pan with cold water to prevent graining; stirring frequently especially when nearing 238°F, 113°C, to prevent burning.
5. Remove from heat and add the vanilla essence, coconut and orange colouring.
6. Beat until the fudge is thick and creamy, then pour into a well greased tin. When cool and set cut into small squares.
Halloween Fudge prepared by Shirley-Ann Pearman
Photo taken by Shirley-Ann Pearman
Recipe was taken from “Cookery In Colour, A picture encyclopedia for every occasion edited by Marguerite Patten” chapter on “Sweets”.