1 lb Seville or bitter oranges (3 medium-sized oranges)
2 Pints water (4½ cups water)
2 lb sugar (7 cups sugar)
1. Wash oranges thoroughly and put into a pan with the water.
2. Cover and simmer slowly for about 1½ hours or until a blunt wooden skewer will pierce the skin of the fruit easily.
3. Remove oranges from liquid, allow to cool, then cut up neatly.
4. Put pips into liquid and boil steadily for 10 minutes to extract the pectin from them, then remove and replace the cut up oranges.
5. Bring to the boil, then stir in the sugar, that has been warmed for a few minutes in the oven.
6. Continue stirring until sugar has dissolved, then bring to the boil and boil rapidly without stirring until setting point is reached. *
7. Start testing the marmalade after about 15 minutes.
8. Allow to cool slightly, stirring occasionally to prevent fruit rising.
9. Ladle into warmed jars and cover.
* How To Tell If Jam Has Reached Setting Point
1. Test with a sugar thermometer; jam (If the correct recipe is used) sets at 220°F, 104-105° C. Make sure the thermometer is registering correctly before use by putting it into boiling water, when it should register 212°F, 100°C.
2. Put a little on to a cold saucer – allow jam to cool, then push with your finger or teaspoon. If the jam has set it wrinkles.
3. Stir the preserve round thoroughly with a wooden spoon, then allow jam to cool slightly on the spoon. Hold the spoon over the preserving pan horizontally – if the jam has set it will hold a firm drop or flake on the edge of the spoon. If it drops off into the pan it is not set. Remember, though, you must wait and allow the jam to cool on the spoon.
Orange Marmalade was made by Shirley-Ann Pearman
Photography by Shirley-Ann Pearman.
Recipe was taken from “Cookery In Colour, A picture encyclopedia for every occasion edited by Marguerite Patten” chapter on “Sweets”. “1001 Orange Marmalade, No 1”PDF Version of Orange Marmalade
Cuisinart 755-26GD Chef's Classic Stainless Steel 5-1/2-Quart Multi-Purpose Pot with Glass CoverCuisinart 719-16 Chef's Classic Stainless 1-1/2-Quart Saucepan with Cover
Cuisinart 744-24 Chef's Classic Stainless 6-Quart Sauce Pot with LidCuisinart 755-26GD Chef's Classic Stainless Steel 5-1/2-Quart Multi-Purpose Pot with Glass Cover
Norpro Stainless Steel Wide-Mouth FunnelJam Making Jars – 1 cup - Leifheit Decorative Canning Jars, Set of 6
Leifheit Canning Supplies 2-Cup Glass Preserving Jars, set of 6 Beyond Gourmet Ubleached Cheesecloth
Swift Jam & Candy Making ThermometerNorpro Stainless Steel Wide-Mouth Funnel
OXO Good Grips Brushed Stainless Steel Spoon OXO Good Grips Brushed Stainless Steel Spoon
Domino Sugar, Granulated, 64-Ounce Canisters (Pack of 6) Domino Sugar, Granulated, 64-Ounce Canisters (Pack of 6)
Domino Premium Pure Cane Sugar 5Lb BagNestle Waters No. America 11475595 Poland Spring Bottled Water - 3ltr (Pack of 6)
Nestle Waters No. America 11475595 Poland Spring Bottled Water - 3ltr (Pack of 6)Deer Park Spring Water 1 gallon - 6 Pack
Deer Park Spring Water 1 gallon - 6 PackSnack Box of Florida Oranges Snack Box of Florida Oranges
Shop online at Amazon.com your one stop shop with many departments, along with access to hundreds of the world's online stores such as Macys, JCPenney, Target etc.
Sales and discounts available daily on many products. Rewards are available to shoppers as well.