THE BERMUDA COOKBOOK – HOT CROSS BUNS RECIPE
Hot Cross Buns
3½ cups flour
½ cup sugar
3 tablespoons melted butter
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup milk (scalded)
1 yeast cake softened in ¼ cup warm milk
1 egg (beaten)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon allspice
¾ cup raisins
1. Pour scalded milk into a bowl.
2. Add sugar, salt and melted butter.
3. Cool to luke warm.
4. Stir in softened yeast and the well beaten egg.
5. In a large bowl sift flour, cinnamon, and allspice.
6. Add raisins and liquid.
7. Mix well then cover and let rise in a warm place until double in bulk.
8. Punch down and knead on a lightly floured board for a short time.
9. Shape into large biscuits, and place on a well greased baking pan.
10. Allow to rise again.
11. Brush tops of buns with slightly beaten egg white.
12. Bake at 375°F for 20 minutes. Yields 18 buns.
Hot Cross Buns were made and prepared by Shirley-Ann Pearman
Photography by Shirley-Ann Pearman
Recipe was taken from The Bermuda CookBook by Cecille C. Snaith-Simmons, the chapter on “It’s Easter”, page 14.