PUMPKIN COFFEE ROLLS
Pumpkin Coffee Rolls
Basic Sweet Dough
1 package yeast
½ cup lukewarm water
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup milk
⅓ cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup shortening
1 beaten egg
¾ cup pumpkin
4 cups sifted flour
Optional: 2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ cup brown sugar
⅛ teaspoon Mace
⅓ cup chopped nuts
⅓ cup raisins
¼ cup icing sugar
1 tablespoon milk
¼ teaspoon almond extract
1. Sprinkle yeast and sugar into lukewarm water and let it stand for 10 minutes.
2. Pour milk, sugar, salt and shortening in a bowl.
3. Add egg.
4. Add pumpkin.
5. Add yeast mixture to milk mixture.
6. Beat in flour.
7. Mix well with a sift fingers, until a smooth elastic dough is formed.
8. Turn onto a lightly floured board and knead until the dough is of even texture.
9. Cover dough and let rise until double in size.
10. Punch down the risen dough and turn onto a lightly floured board.
11. Roll out half of dough into a 15-by-7-inch rectangle (other half in refrigerator). Place in lightly greased 15-by-10-by1-inch jelly-roll pan.
12. Down 2 long sides, make parallel cuts 2½ inches long and ¾ inch apart. Spread uncut portion with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon filling.
13. Combine 1 egg with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash.
14. Cover and let rise.
15. Bake in a 375° oven for 25 minutes.
16. Optional Glace.
Pumpkin Coffee Rolls was made and prepared by Shirley-Ann Pearman
Photography by Shirley-Ann Pearman
Recipe was received from one of my educational cookery classes “Food and Nutrition” at Sandy’s Secondary School (High School) in 1979 on Basic Sweet Dough.