HEART LAYER CAKE WITH JAM
Heart Layer Cake With Jam
½ lb butter
1⅔ cups sugar
2 cups cake flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla, or 1 teaspoon mace
¾ cup strawberry jam
1. Preheat the oven to 325° (165°C).
2. Butter and lightly flour 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
3. Cream the butter, slowly add the sugar, and beat until light.
4. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating each in well.
5. Stir in the flour, salt, and vanilla or mace and combine well.
6. Spoon into the pan and bake for 1- 1¼ hours, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
7. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes before turning out onto a rack.
8. Decorate. (Refer to Note)
9. Serve very thin slices.
Heart Layer Cake With Jam was made and prepared by Shirley-Ann Pearman
Photography by Shirley-Ann Pearman
Recipe was taken from The Fannie Farmer CookBook, the chapter on “Cakes” Cakes Made With Shortening (Butter Cakes), Recipe on page 623 of the Twelfth Edition.
Note: Recipe was done in three 9 x1 inch heart shape layer cake pans. ¼ cup of strawberry jam was spread between each layer and assembled accordingly. Optional decoration: Powered cocoa and powered icing sugar, along with pecan nuts. Additional decorations are heart shape white chocolate and milk chocolate which had been melted down in heart shape pans and molded.