WHOLE WHEAT RAISIN BREAD
Orange Glazed Whole Wheat Raisin Bread
½ cup warm water (105 to 115F)
½ cup warm milk
1 package rapid active dry yeast (¼ cup warm water)
1 egg (beaten)
3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
¼ cup sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup butter
½ cup raisins or golden raisins
1 teaspoon orange peel
2 teaspoons salad oil (To grease bowl prior to rising)
Glaze – Orange
¼ cup icing sugar
¼ teaspoon orange peel
1 – 2 teaspoons of orange juice.
1. Dissolve the yeast in ¼ cup warm water.
2. Combine flours, sugar, salt and butter. Cut in the butter unto it resembles bread crumbs.
3. Add raisins and orange peel.
4. Add milk, water, egg and dissolved yeast. Blend altogether.
5. Knead for 10 – 15 minutes accordingly.
6. Place in a well greased bowl and allow to rise for 1 hour approximately until double in bulk.
7. Punch down dough with fist; turn out onto lightly floured board.
8. Loaf as desired to respective well greased pans. (loaf pans, muffin pans, baking sheets etc.)
9. Allow to rise for approximately 30 minutes or until double in bulk.
10. Preheat oven to 400F.
11. Bake bread for 25 to 30 minutes, or until fully baked and crust is golden-brown.
12. Brush with a little butter.
13. Drizzle or brush with glaze. Combine all ingredients to make glaze.
Orange Whole Wheat Raisin Bread was made and prepared by Shirley-Ann Pearman
Photography by Shirley-Ann Pearman
Recipe can also be used to make Hot Cross Buns.